Thursday

7 Things I Wish I Knew When I First Started Practicing Law

 1. Keep Track of Your Time


Bad habits start early and grow on you. That includes time-keeping habits too. 

 If you’re a new lawyer, start tracking your time carefully from the very start. If you’re an older lawyer, well, start fixing the problem right now. 

 In my first decade I gave away more time than I ever billed - all because of a lack of tracking the time right in the first place. And I’ve been paid less for the billed time than I thought I was going to get too - because when your bill arrives later, there’s always some other bill that got there first. 

 Not tracking 15 minutes of each day - do you know what that will cost you? I ran the numbers once. It can be equal to the cost for a 7 days in Paris at a top hotel, first class airfare included. Think about that.

 Besides, when people need help right now, they will pay for help right now - tomorrow they may not be so committed to it. And being paid leads me to the second thing I wish I knew when I first started.

 ..... more tomorrow.

Ronald L Burdge, Esq.

www.TheLawCoach.com

Helping Lawyers Helping Clients

E Ron@BurdgeLaw.com

T 937.432.9500